Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sanctuary from the Storm

When Greg originally chose this deep brown for our bedroom, I acquiesced. I figured I would give him one room where he made the color decision. I went with it for awhile, agreeing to the dark furniture and testing out my interior decorating mettle. I was very limited in the colors that I could use and the result was more darkness. Elegant, but dark. Bedrooms should be sanctuaries from a day out in the storm.




I kept Googgling "Spa Master bedrooms ideas" and envying all the different ideas. After two years, I think I just got tired of having our room be so dark. 

Just a little background on my OCD personality...
I use to change and completely re-do my room at least once every 3 months in high school. Full revisions, moving the pieces of furniture in my room (bed, bookshelf, dresser+mirror, & desk), and emptying out drawers, purging anything I didn't want anymore. I would get so obsessive that once I started I wouldn't sleep until it was done. My dad would come home at about 1AM and find me wide awake in my room in the middle of all the chaos. He would tell me to finish tomorrow and go to sleep every time, but I never did. 

It has been a long time since high school but that obsessiveness still lingers and I guess it was long overdue.

So in normal project fashion, I started with my usual, "So Honey, I've been thinking...." which he responds with a usual, sarcastic "Oh geez, what?" and a denial. This is followed by a week or two of repeat pestering until he finally agrees to repaint the room a brighter color. 


So we moved things from the walls and repainted the room a light gray. So light, in fact, in certain instances it was almost white. (I wish we had gone darker, but selling Greg on painting the room a 3rd time wasn't going to happen) but it definitely brightened up the room.


We were pretty set on not wanting to get new furniture but we did want new side tables to go with our Spa-like decor. I had always wanted a large round side table and I came across one at Target on "clearance." (We sure do love those red stickers!) Unfortunately, we found out it was not tall enough :( 

So, what do you do when the table you purchased is not tall enough? You go to Home Depot and add some railing toppers! The were the perfect diameter and three of them gave us the length we needed. Perfecto!


We painted all of it white (Tidally Wink, left over from Jacob's nursery if you want to get specific) then sanded it down to get that "distressed" look.

.

We also upgraded to fancy side lamps, changed our fabric headboard to a simple gray color, and curtains to a dark gray


Curtains were added to the window behind our dresser to complete the look in the entire room.


Here is the results! Our personal sanctuary from the doom and gloom.

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

I love it and I love target clearance!!! :)

I like grey in bedrooms. It makes it like a rainy day and who doesn't like to sleep on a rainy day!!!

I also liked it brown. But, I like everything brown. living room furniture is "chocolate brown" and it is like sitting on a big hershey bar! mmmm... hershey... :)